The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages Free To Book The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages The Forest Cottages The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages Accomodation at Forest Cottages Facilities at Forest Cottages Gallery at Forest Cottages About Forest Cottages Things To Do in Mid Wales Find Forest Cottages Contact Forest Cottages
Book direct for BEST rates without agency booking fees, typically 20% - click on Tariffs & Availability                    Wifi - Superfast fibre - Owners Direct Booking deal - Wifi Free of Charge                    
  Owners History Eco Locality Links Terms  
 

History of The Forest Holiday Cottages in Kerry, Wales

The earliest deeds for the house date back to 1709 when it consisted of 2 small dwellings. Shortly after 1822, the houses were converted into one dwelling when The Forest was the home of the Herberts, the owners of Dolforgan estate. During the mid 19th century to house was owned by the Walton family before becoming the property of the Willans family who, in 1912, carried our major improvements.

An article in the Montgomeryshire Express of 1914 detailed the improvements. "The out offices comprised of a six-roomed gardener’s cottage, stable for four horses, cow house, pig styes, kennels, wash house, boiler house, two garages (one with pit), harness room, tool houses, granary, hay loft, store rooms, potting shed, fruit room, and all the sanitary essentials."

The Forest was sold in 1922 and passed through various owners over the years who used it as a family home. The outbuildings were variously used for a pig farm and later for a poultry farm when 3 large new barns were added.

Cottages
Cottages in 1900

The outbuildings at The Forest consisted of a coach house, a storage barn and a small stable block.
In 1912 The Forest was renovated and added to, and its amenities greatly improved. Electricity was added from a “Gilkes” turbine located at Kerry sawmills and an intricate scheme of drainage was installed at great expense. The outbuildings were totally renovated with a cottage added.



Restoration work

Paul and Michelle Martin, bought The Forest in 2007 and work began immediately lasting a 18 months. The outbuildings proved to be in a critical condition and work was far more extensive than expected. Forest Cottage and Byre needed new timbers upstairs which allowed for much improved layouts

Restoration


Coach
Coach House restoration

None of the timbers in the coach house could be saved. The floor and roof were rebuilt using reclaimed slate and it was finally brought back to life as Forest Keep.



Bell tower

An important feature was its bell tower which was carefully rebuilt around its original oak pillars.

Bell


Scandanavian
Scandanavian log cabin

The final project was the demolition of the former chicken barns and construction of Forest Lodge. The log cabin is made from scandanavian pine and is built up log by log. It took a week from foundation to roof and a further 3 months for painting, installation and furbishments.



 
     
The Tower at The Forest Cottages
The Forest Cottages Self Catering Accomodation
Free To Book
For more information about The Forest Cottages call Paul and Michelle on 01686 621 821

Home | Accommodation | Forest Byre | Forest Cottage | Forest Keep | Forest Lodge
Facilities | Games Room | Outdoor Facilities | Pets | Local Attractions | Customer Feedback | Gallery | About us
Local Information | Paul and Michelle | History | Terms | Links | Find us | Contact us


Website Developed by Mid Wales Trading